Painter: Pen Sergey Varlenovich
Pen Sergey Varlenovich - Painter's Biography
Sergei Pen was born on June 19, 1952 in Leningrad into a family of well-known artists, painters Pen Varlen and Derbizova Praskovya Trofimovna, who graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture named after I.E. Repin, which largely predetermined the choice of his future profession, because his parents also became his first teachers. After graduating from the Secondary Art School, in 1970 Sergey Pen entered the painting department of the I.E. Repin. In 1976 he graduated from the institute in the workshop of V.M. Oreshnikov with the qualification of an artist-painter and teacher. Since 1976, Sergei has been participating in exhibitions, painting genre and historical paintings, mainly on the themes of the fleet, landscapes and portraits. In 1980 he was accepted as a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists. In 1987, he began working at the Central Naval Museum in Leningrad as a marine painter. In 1989, he became artistic director of the Museum's Studio of Marine Painters.
«I take on historical topics, because I constantly boil in the “museum mess”. Since the curators of the museum are mostly my friends, I have the opportunity to look at things that the ordinary visitor to the funds is unlikely to ever see. And love for ships began with love for Kronstadt. I visit this city several times a year to draw or just wander along its streets and embankments.»
Since 2006, Sergey has been working as a professor at the Department of Painting of the Faculty of Fine Arts of the Russian State Pedagogical University. A.I. Herzen. In the works of the artist, whether they are devoted to history or modernity, the feeling of the sea is always conveyed reliably and accurately. Sergei visited dozens of seas on ships of the Navy, in all the oceans of our planet, he worked in Greece, Bulgaria, Germany, Tunisia, in the Russian North, in 1991 he visited Alaska with a group of Moscow and St. Petersburg artists, and in 1995- In 1996, he circumnavigated the world on the Kruzenshtern barge, dedicated to the 300th anniversary of the Russian Navy. And today, perhaps, there is no other artist who could compare with Sergei Pen in terms of subtlety of sensations in such a difficult genre as a seascape. The magnificent academic school manifests itself with special force in the pictures of historical battles, revealing the glorious pages of the maritime history of Russia. Outwardly restrained, refined colors, which have long become a kind of visiting card of the artist, classically adjusted compositions make the master's paintings recognizable and appreciated by his audience, students and colleagues.
Sergei Pen: where are the paintings of the artist?
Sergey Pen is a participant of many Russian and foreign exhibitions. The artist's paintings are presented in the collections of the Central Naval Museum (St. Petersburg), the Museum of the World Ocean (Kaliningrad), the Vyshnevolotsk Museum of Local Lore, the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Reserve, the Museum. P.V. Maslennikova (Mogilev, Belarus), in private collections in Russia, USA, China and Western Europe.
What awards did Sergei Pen receive?
- 1996 - medal "In honor of the 300th anniversary of the Russian Navy".
- 1997 - awarded the title of Honored Artist of the Russian Federation.
- 2004 - medal "In memory of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg".
What exhibitions did Sergey Pen take part in?
- 2022 - Exhibition "Marine History" in the Hermitage-Vyborg Center
- 2020 - Competition "I draw Korea", Embassy and Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in St. Petersburg
- 2019 - Exhibition of paintings by Sergei Pen - "Marine History" Vyshnevolotsk Museum of Local Lore named after G.G. Monakhova
- 2017 - AU PONT ROUGE Gallery, Exhibition of paintings by Sergei Pen.
- 2014 - State Museum of Fine Arts of the Republic of Tatarstan, Exhibition "Aivazovsky and the Fleet".
- 2012 - Exhibition building "Packhouse" of the Museum of the World Ocean, Kaliningrad, Exhibition "Marine History".
- 2011 - Marine Art Gallery at the Icebreaker Krasin Museum, Exhibition Marine Painter Sergey Pen, Natura on the Sea, dedicated to the art of sea studies.
- 2011 - Gallery "Blue Living Room" of the Union of Artists of St. Petersburg. International project "Two views of the sea" - Sergey Pen and Johnny Molton.
There are no products to list.